[NAFEX] leachy phosphate?

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 19:57:42 EDT 2009

Kevin wrote, "That's too bad. Rock phosphate is more slowly available than
the others. That's why it's so good. It doesn't leach out of the soil the
way the others do. If you have a rich, biologically active soil, it should
be available to the plants shortly after it is applied. If you have dead,
chemically burned soils, it may never become available."

Phosphorus doesn't hardly leach at all- even tripple superphosphate, but
quickly forms nearly insoluble precipitates with other minerals becoming
mostly unavailable to plants when applied to the soil.  Where phosphorous
pollutes water is when the soil itself erodes into the water.   Anyway,
that's how I understand it. As a fruit grower and a gardener I have never
experienced phosphorous deficiency.  Hooray for our fungus friends.