[NAFEX] chemical vs organic

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Tue Jun 16 15:46:05 EDT 2009

Rotenone is natural, but the definition of the term 'organic' is changing.
Whether something like that would be allowed in an organically certified
farm would be determined by the certifying agency.  I would encourage what
the OMRI insists on in this statement about rotenone: "It may be used only
as part of a biorational pest management program, and cannot be the primary
method of pest control in the Farm Plan. The least toxic botanicals must be
used in the least ecologically disruptive way possible."

As for Bt, yes, the bacteria produce toxins, but, as with many toxins, they
are highly specific.  They require a high-pH gut to be effective, and then
act on specific receptors in the gut.  Bt or its toxic products are not only
not harmful to non-insects, but each insect that can be affected is targeted
by a specific strain of Bt.  For instance, many caterpillars are damaged by
one strain, and common mosquito larvae by another.  Neither strain is
problematic to the other type of creature.  Organic gardeners and farmers
love specificity.

Not to pick on you, Dennis; your IPM approach to insect control is sensible.

~ Stephen