[NAFEX] My experience with Elephant Garlic

Gary Woods garygarlic at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 16 13:20:52 EDT 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:28:55 -0400, you wrote:

>Important point: my understanding is that elephant garlic is planted
>deeper than soft neck or hard neck garlic.

My experience is that elephant garlic isn't nearly as hardy as regular
hardneck.  I need to plant it perhaps 6" deep, and mulch heavily once the
surface of the ground has frozen, perhaps late December in my zone 5/4
location.  I finally gave up on it in favor of "real" garlic.  Elephant
garlic is too much like kissing your sister.