[NAFEX] My experience with Elephant Garlic

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue Jun 16 12:47:28 EDT 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> Thank you Ginda_ I plant the sort of garlic with a hard central
> flower-stalk in MA,
> zone 6.  I just scratch a hole in the soil and drop the bulb in, the
> top of the bulb is maybe 2" below the soil line.
>
> Important point: my understanding is that elephant garlic is planted
> deeper than soft neck or hard neck garlic.

Maybe that's why I never had much luck with it; I thought it wasn't
well suited here (other West Coast garlic strains I've tried usually
don't do well here), plus which it was kind of the garlic for people
who don't like garlic, as the flavor is mild.

I plant regular garlic about 2" deep (in shallow trenches made with the
rototiller furrower, faster than individual holes) and cover with two
to four inches of straw; it comes up right through the straw in the
spring, you don't need to pull the straw back. Straw greatly improves
winter survival here, not due to lowest temperatures I don't think, but
because it prevents frequent freezing and thawing through the winter;
which has been quite common here, especially recently, because we've
been having a lot of warm weather intermittently through the winters.

Planting season for garlic here is the second half of October.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly