[NAFEX] Elephant garlic question OT

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Tue Jun 16 10:07:17 EDT 2009

Betsy Hilborn asked, "I just harvested my elephant garlic yesterday. Each
bulb had a tiny 'cloves' at many of the roots.  They were separate from the
main bulb and very small.  Can I use these to propagate more elephant
garlic, or are they best used for cooking?

    When I grew Elephant Garlic, I learned that I had to peel those tiny
bulbs if I wanted them to grow into big bulbs, a process that can take up to
three seasons here in zone 3.
    I haven't grown Elephant Garlic for eight years and those tiny
(unpeeled) bulbs have been coming up ever since.  Of course, after a few
years, I don't recognize them and they get tilled under.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: