[NAFEX] My experience with Elephant Garlic

nottke1 nottke1 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 20:25:14 EDT 2009

Betsy,
Good info from Lon.
I live just an hour west of you and I have grown elephant garlic for about 12 years.  I harvest mine in late June - probably because I am a half zone cooler than you.
I gather every one of the little bulblets as I dig the crop, and then immediately replant them and cover with mulch.  In a damp year, most of them come up and result in very large single bulbs the next year, some are over 2 inches across.  The smaller of these single bulbs I use in cooking - they do not cure and keep as well as the conventional cloves.  The largest single bulbs I replant and they give the largest standard type cloves the next year.
Last year I planted mostly large single bulbs and only a few of the large cloves.  Will dig the crop in a week or two and learn how it did.
Lon is right, I had a friend who ate the largest and planted the smallest, and in a few years was complaining about how small his garlic had become.
Jim