[NAFEX] Elephant garlic question OT

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Jun 15 13:46:59 EDT 2009

  Those little bulbils can be  used for propagation, but it takes two
years to get a full bulb.  Re-plant them and the first year you'll get
the equivalent of one large clove.  The next year that "clove" will
become a full bulb.   Traditionally, Elephant garlic is propagated only
from the biggest cloves from the biggest bulbs.  Elephant Garlic (by
that name) was found on a farm here in Oregon and given it's name by N.
P. Nichols, who started Nichols Garden Nursery.  I've got  a story
about it I'll send offlist  if  you want it.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :