[NAFEX] Fruit trees under powerlines

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Mon Jun 15 09:14:52 EDT 2009

> Next to the orchard is a field alternately planted in soybeans and
> corn. I've never been able to see an increase in height under the
> lines. I don't have access to harvest records therefore have no idea
> about production increase or decrease under the lines.

That's why I've always questioned this claim, too. Here in Nebraska,
transmission lines cross and border crop fields all over the place, but
I've never noticed any difference in the nearby plants. I don't know if
it's been scientifically studied, but there's no obvious difference,
that I could ever see.

And farmers tend to be very unhappy about new transmission lines
crossing their land. If it actually boosted yields, you'd think they'd
welcome them (certainly along the edges of their fields). Well, there
are other considerations, too, no doubt.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
A study by researchers at the University of Utah proves what many people
have long suspected: Everyone talking on a cell phone, except you, is a