[NAFEX] Honeyberry sweetness (sourness)

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Jun 14 20:00:21 EDT 2009

You'd have to ask Dr. Thompson when she will release the material.  I
think there are already some nurseries looking at it, so it may not be
long.

As to ripening, Haskap ripens about with the earliest  strawberries,
sometimes a bit earlier.  They bloom later, yes, but it's warmer when
they do bloom which seems to speed development.

The Haskap material comes from a maritime climate and seems to have
more  disease resistance than the Russian honeyberry which comes from a
drier climate.  Haskap needs more evaluation on that  score, though.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :
On Jun 14, 2009, at 10:58 AM, William C. Garthright wrote:

> And when Dr. Thompson's selections come on the market, those old ones
> will be plain by comparison.

Any idea of when that might be?

> That's the advantage of Haskap. They bloom months after the honeyberry
> and set much more regularly as a result.

Isn't that also a disadvantage, Lon? I was interested in honeyberry
because it was supposed to fruit so early in the summer, before most
other fruits became ripe. That seemed to be a really big advantage.
(However, from what I heard, there were a number of disadvantages -
"extremely susceptible" to leaf diseases in the Midwest, very quick to
break dormancy, scanty production, and just OK flavor - so I didn't
plant any.)

If Haskap bloom months after honeyberries, they probably fruit when I'd
have an abundance of fruit, already, right?