[NAFEX] nature's balance?

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 16:51:16 EDT 2009

"The trick is to maintain a balance so that some damage to trees is
acceptable as long as the pests don't get out of hand and start doing enough
damage to actually hurt the trees.

By directing the location of various plants and water
sources in relation to your trees, it is possible to achieve this
balance, ... "

To me this statement could be interpreted as being rife with humancentric
arrogance- the idea that our species has anything to do with a balance of
nature.  Agriculture, by my definition, is the manipulation of nature and
land to maintain an imbalance in favor of our species, generally at the
expense of many others- and I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I tend to
favor humans myself.  Of course, a reduction in numbers might be nice.

Kevin, you don't mention what you grow, although you allude to commercial
production.  You don't sound to me like anyone who could be growing
conventional fruit east of the Mississippi in a substantial way.  If you
are, you are a genius.