[NAFEX] Honeyberry sweetness (sourness)

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun Jun 14 13:58:42 EDT 2009

> And when Dr. Thompson's selections come on the market, those old ones
> will be plain by comparison.

Any idea of when that might be?

> That's the advantage of Haskap. They bloom months after the honeyberry
> and set much more regularly as a result.

Isn't that also a disadvantage, Lon? I was interested in honeyberry
because it was supposed to fruit so early in the summer, before most
other fruits became ripe. That seemed to be a really big advantage.
(However, from what I heard, there were a number of disadvantages -
"extremely susceptible" to leaf diseases in the Midwest, very quick to
break dormancy, scanty production, and just OK flavor - so I didn't
plant any.)

If Haskap bloom months after honeyberries, they probably fruit when I'd
have an abundance of fruit, already, right?

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too
dark to read. - Groucho Marx