[NAFEX] Questions about using Carbaryl (Sevin) to drastically thin apples.

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Sun Jun 14 13:06:39 EDT 2009

Replying to my own post...
I tried it Saturday. I decided to mix up only a quart of Sevin spray
because the tree in question isn't that big and I didn't want to waste
the stuff.
I sprayed the parts of the tree that are hard to reach fist, to make
sure those areas got covered. I purposely did not spray one big branch
to see for myself if the thinning only happened where the spray touched.
(It's a low branch and I can thin that branch by hand later.)
I carefully looked at the weather radar on my computer. I looked at the
hour by hour forecast on weather.com. Nothing coming on the radar and
the forecast said zero % chance of rain at noon, 1 PM, 2Pm, then a 15%
chance at 3. Back to zero at 5 PM and finally 40% starting at 6.
Everything told me that if I sprayed (it was late morning, just before
noon) the Carbaryl would have several hours of quality time on the
apples before there was any serious chance of rain. Well, you guessed
it. Half an hour later I felt some light sprinkles. I figured it would
stop in just a moment. Minutes later, it was just raining and it rained
all day, taking a brief break at 3 then it stopped at 9PM.
The whole thing was probably a waste of time. Today it's supposed to
rain but it's calm and sunny.  ;-(

Steve