[NAFEX] chemical vs organic

Kevin Moore aleguy33 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 12:58:47 EDT 2009

A very interesting perspective. Organic vs. chemical gardening. I must say that I am neither. Especially since the advent of the USDA's National Organic Program which has destroyed much that was good about organic certification to begin with. I consider myself an advocate of natural gardening as opposed to organic. While I still occaisionally use sprays such as seaweed extract or dilute milk for immediate problems. I find I resort to them less and less. I take a permaculture approach of trying to design a balanced ecosystem where there is something that eats every pest. I prefer to call this natural gardening to disociate it from the industrial agriculture that calls itself organic. Even borers have predators and diseases. The trick is to maintain a balance so that some damage to trees is acceptable as long as the pests don't get out of hand and start doing enough damage to actually hurt the trees. By directing the location of various plants and water
 sources in relation to your trees, it is possible to achieve this balance, though I will be the first to admit that having trees and other plants that are naturally resistant to various pathogens is always a good foundation to start off with.
I know this probably doesn't help your research, but there are an increasing number of people who are going "beyond organic."
Kevin z9 Louisiana.