[NAFEX] Pepino/Feijoa

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sat Jun 13 23:56:22 EDT 2009

I may just never have had a good pepino. I've found it a bland filler in a
fruit salad, very mild.  The word 'compelling' makes me want to grow some
and see how home-grown turn out.
I have grown feijoas,  They can be really delicious, with a pineapple/guava
flavor or strawberry/guava.  The flowers are also edible.  They make a great
smoothie.  Home grown were better than store-bought.  They do need to be
handled differently than other fruits, as the peeled (scooped-out, rather)
flesh turns brown easily.  They can be dipped in an acidic solution before
freezing to help keep their color.
As far as growing, don't really have tips. Ours took forever to bear, but
there are varieties much quicker to bear.  We did nothing special other than
wait for them.  Plants were always healthy, zero insect or disease problems.

~ Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of David Consolvo
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:08 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] Pepino/Feijoa

With the mention of pepino, anyone have opinions/tips about this fruit, or
feijoas
(a.k.a. "pineapple guava)?  I used to buy them in New Zealand.  Pepinos have
sort
of a canteloupe flavor, mild but somehow compelling.  Same with feijoas
there,
rather mild but even more compelling.  Pepinos need a long growing season,
and
feijoas a mildish winter, so they're rather more trouble for central
Virginia here.
~David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia

Sent via the WebMail system at mail.firstva.com