[NAFEX] melons

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat Jun 13 20:24:06 EDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Mark Angermayer wrote:

> I've had difficulty growing sweet melons.  Our soil is heavy, but very
> high
> in organic matter (4.9% last soil test).  I can grow tons of melons,
> but
> they're bland and tasteless (no, I didn't pick them too early).  I've
> tried
> starving them of water, and watering the thunder out of 'em.  It
> doesn't
> seem to make a difference.  I've also got a few spots that are well
> drained
> on our soil.  I've tried to grow melons there.  Again they grow fine,
> but
> they're bland.

What varieties are you growing?

It's quite possible that flavor in melons is highly variable by whether
the variety is suited to the specific location. This is certainly true
of tomatoes, and of some strawberries; and it can be *extremely*
specific location, it can make a difference what side of the hill
you're on, not just in what general climate.

On clay soils in the Northeast I have had very good flavor from
Hannah's Choice, Earligold, Harper, Montana Gold, Harvest Queen, Jenny
Lind, Rocky Ford, and for watermelons Sugar Baby, Far North, Blacktail
Mountain -- Blacktail Mountain was the best of the three here but Sugar
Baby seed would be the easiest to find.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly