[NAFEX] Honeyberry sweetness (sourness)

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Sat Jun 13 11:37:13 EDT 2009

    I have read posts where folks say that if our honeyberries are sour that
we are picking them too soon and they sweeten with time.  I tried that.  If
I don't pick them when they are sour, they fall off and they are still sour.
    To answer the sand vs. clay argument, my honeyberries are growing in
sandy loam, 5% organic matter - 95% sand.
    Plant pathologists claim that sour fruit indicates a copper deficiency.
My soil is not copper deficient but is it possible that honeyberries need
more than most plants?
    Are your honeyberries sour or sweet and do you know why?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: