[NAFEX] Red raspberry deer control

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Sat Jun 13 11:26:48 EDT 2009

Melissa Kacalanos asked, "Do deer eat honeyberries/haskaps/blue
honeysuckle?"

    Here the deer nibble on my blueberries, apples and aronia but I don't
see evidence of nibbling on my honeyberries.  They munch on red raspberries!
My honeyberries are located near the red raspberries and that is important.
Here, deer seem to favor red raspberries over anything else.
    Customers who buy black raspberry plants from me say that deer nibble on
them while other customers, who also have red raspberry plants, don't have
the problem.  This isn't very scientific but if your deer are like mine,
plant some red raspberries as bait so they leave the other plants alone.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: