[NAFEX] "science," and deer vs. honeyberries

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Jun 12 18:44:22 EDT 2009

Melissa,

I'm working on a series of articles about fake scientific claims vs. the
real stuff.  This group is pretty low on the gullibility scale.   There's a
lot more attention to actual, peer-reviewed, published reproducible studies.
Part of that may be that this is a fairly bright group overall.  Part may be
that there are a lot more exaggerated and false claims when it comes to
things people would buy for their own health, rather than plant health.

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Melissa Kacalanos
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 2:59 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] "science," and deer vs. honeyberries

I haven't read all these emails (too busy picking strawberries, and trying
to set up ever-more-elaborate netting around them) but I think it might be
worthwhile making sure we know what we mean by "science." It can mean
theories tested by controlled experiments, or it can mean stuff marketed by
people wearing white lab coats and using big words. A lot of stuff claims to
be "scientific" as a marketing gimmick, but is not backed up by actual data.
A lot of people will tell you're they're against "science" when what they're
really against is this sort of "science"-labeled snake oil. A lot of people
will tell you they believe in "science" when all they have is a
superstitious belief that anything said by someone in a white lab coat must
be true.

But back to fruit. Do deer eat honeyberries/haskaps/blue honeysuckle? I'm
already planning what to plant next year, and space inside the deer fence is
limited. The deer around here are ravenous. They ate most of the leaves off
two of my new pawpaws! You NAFEX people told me they don't eat pawpaws!
Well, they didn't eat them completely, so that still counts as relatively
deer-resistant for here. Anyway, I notice that deer seem to leave various
honeysuckles alone, so I'm hoping they won't eat honeyberries either. I'd
rather have someone else do the experiment.

Melissa
zone 5, central NY, suburbia, deer paradise