[NAFEX] IPM

mIEKAL aND qazingulaza at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:34:16 EDT 2009

I'm pretty sure I'm on one side of the extremes.  I live in the county that
has more organic farms than any other county in the US, work for the largest
organic farmers coop in the US & the knowledge-base for going organic in
these parts is several generations deep.  On the other hand I & a lot of
people around here don't drink their well water because nitrate & atrazine
levels are too high, CAFOs are continuously trying to set up shop & there is
a fairly healthy commercial apple industry around here.  As you can imagine
doing organic apples around here has been slow going since all the apple
diseases have already set up shop in these parts.

Personally, I don't have a need to be certified organic but concentrate on
no-spray & as low inputs as possible.  Since I'm primarily making wine from
fruits, & don't sell fresh fruits I don't have to deal with having the best
looking fruit.

is just appearing comparing organic to gmo, organic to commercial & USDA has
just requisitioned something like $22 million for upcoming research for
university based research projects.  A lot of anecdotal evidence will
eventually have fairly serious studies to be compared to.

This is farming country here & the incidence of pancreatic and other forms
of environmental cancers has reached alarming proportions among traditional
farming families.  I would say it is probably one of the reoccuring stories
we hear when new farmers join our coop, transitioning to organic because of
seeing members of their families picked off one by one.

~mIEKAL