[NAFEX] melons

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Jun 12 14:29:38 EDT 2009

> I've heard a lot of people with heavy soil complain about growing tasteless melons, and a few people with heavy soil who claim success.

I've stayed out of this discussion before now, because I've grown
watermelons (Crimson Sweet Watermelon from Gurneys) only ONCE. That was
last year, they were absolutely wonderful, and I've got heavy soil with
lots of clay. (The only problem I had was in figuring out when to pick
them. I lucked out on most of them, but I picked one too green and two
or three that were overly-ripe.)

At any rate, they were really sweet and delicious. I gave a few away and
got raves. But we'll see what happens this year.

That's my contribution, for whatever it's worth.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone
are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad