[NAFEX] bitter pecans

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Jun 11 21:33:04 EDT 2009

I've never seen(knowingly) 'Pleas' nuts, but it is a
pecanXbitternut hybrid that has been pretty widely
planted.  I have access to a couple of grafted trees
of a pecanXbitternut hybrid, planted nearly 40 years
ago among a dozen or so grafted northern pecans -
nuts look like a very large bitternut nut, but have
the telltale stripes on the shell that reveal that it
has a pecan parent.  Very early-maturing(Sept 1-15),
with very thin shell and high kernel percentage;
kernels look like bitternut hickory, and always have
some astringency, though some years, it's minimal.

Lucky