[NAFEX] melons

Spidra Webster spidra at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 10 13:58:33 EDT 2009

Don't just mulch - sheet mulch. The only weed I have that will grow
up through a recent sheet mulch is bindweed. The rest are
suppressed...at least until seeds fall into the mulch and germinate.
I sheet mulch using cardboard. The larger the piece of cardboard, the
fewer seams there are for bindweed to find its way through.

On Jun 10, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Raby, Brian wrote:

> Here's my question to the melon growers.   I have had pretty good
> luck myself growing the cantaloupe, watermelon, pumpkin, etc...
> What is frustrating to me is keeping down the weeds. When the
> plants are small and just starting off, you can go thru the garden
> with either hoe or tiller.  Once the vines get to spreading, "game
> over, man".
>
> Mulching does no good for me cuz the weeds will grow right thru
> it.  Any suggestions?
>
> Brian
> Hortonville, IN
> Zone 5/6