[NAFEX] Paw Paw seedlings

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Jun 10 12:57:44 EDT 2009

It's very easy for me to understand how a couple of persimmon seeds
could have been incorporated into a batch of pawpaw seed when you
have a nursery operator, like John Gordon - or myself - who's
gathering/cleaning/storing both persimmon & pawpaw seeds in large
quantities.  And, the physical appearance of persimmon & pawpaw seeds
is not all that different - granted, most pawpaw seeds are larger and
thicker than the typical persimmon seed - but I've seen some large
persimmon seeds that were bigger than some small pawpaw seed.  If you
were planting a large quantity - like the pound or two that mIEKAL
was working with, you might not even notice a couple of persimmon
seeds as being significantly different.

Pretty unlikely that John Gordon's got A.parviflora growing in
Amherst, NY, as it's pretty much a zone 7-8 plant.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY