[NAFEX] Melons in zone 6b

Harrick, Barbara b.harrick at ilslaunch.com
Wed Jun 10 06:02:03 EDT 2009

Hi all. Not a ton of experience growing melons either, but here are some observations/thoughts from a clay-based residential suburban yard in Fairfax, VA, zone 6b:

1. Melons are horribly prone to all fungal, rot, mildew and mold
2. We use a lot of landscape fabric/black plastic under other plants susceptible to #1.
3. Don't put them out too early as they stunt faster than tomatoes if weather chills.
4. If melons are sitting in moist conditions, all sorts of bugs will dig into the softened skin--elevate them or at least keep them dry (esp. on blk. plastic)
5. I wonder at their ability to trellis--even the small ones--I don't know if they can hold their own weight.  BUT, if you hung them in pantyhose footees or something that would cradle them on the trellis, taking the strain off the stem and still providing air.......that might be a way to do it. Or even the garage wall hangers--I bet there are some of those that would help hold melons on a trellis.

Picking loads of strawberries and sour cherries, Barbara

Message: 1