[NAFEX] Of melons and dreams...

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Tue Jun 9 21:01:40 EDT 2009

I'm in Ag Can Zone 4b, and I tried melons 2 years ago. I tried Sugar Baby
watermelon and tried growing a cantelope that I took seeds from a
supermarket fruit! I let the vines trail but they took up a LOT of space,
which I got the feeling is required. I only got a couple of melons per vines
(I think I thined a few of the smallest). The watermelons were a bit of a
disappointment (not a lot of flesh) but the cantelope, although small,
tasted AMAZING! Which is quite cool considering it was most probably not a
variety adapted to my short growing season. But I agree that it's totally
pot luck, based on the weather you get, as they definitely need a lot of
sun.

Two points: firstly my soil was very fertile but I am not the most dilligent
of feeders; regular feeding would probably have helped with the size.
Secondly make sure the melons are supported, either on pieces of wood or
cardboard if the vines or trailing, or in stockings on a trellis.

That's my limited experience. Good Luck!

Caren
Quebec