[NAFEX] Of melons and dreams...

Jolyn jolyn at tctwest.net
Tue Jun 9 17:27:23 EDT 2009

Sorry, my reply is only off-list.
I am not sure that I will be of help but my zone range is the same so I will
address a couple of your questions.
I have grown melons for about 30 years but my experience has not been from
research.  There aren't many melons that ripen on each vine in Zone 4/5 so I
haven't tried some of the things you mention.
1. I definitely start removing the new melons setting on after 4-5 have set
on each vine or hill.
2. I do not prune the vines as they seem to need all the leaf space possible
to ripen the melons.
3.  I have found that size is mostly determined by the variety.  I haven't
found that pruning and the amount of melons on the vine makes a difference.
4. They do taste better with richer soil and plenty of heat.  When the
melons have less flavor it seems to be caused by cooler weather.

I can't imagine that succession planting would do much good in a short
season area.  I think we are lucky when we get the 4-5 per hill to ripen.
I have gotten the best results from some of the varieties offered by Fedco
and Pinetree.
That is my 2 cents. Growing melons in Zone 4/5 is a crap shoot but the years
they are good are REALLY good.
Jolyn in Montana