[NAFEX] book of possible interest: Forgotten Fruits by Christopher Stocks

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Mon Jun 8 10:50:40 EDT 2009

A grape read

*

1.	Buy Forgotten Fruits at the Guardian bookshop
<http://www.guardianbookshop.co.uk/BerteShopWeb/viewProduct.do?ISBN=9780
099514749>

In his delightful celebration of Britain's forgotten fruit and veg,
Christopher Stocks reveals that our food heritage is under threat. In
the past 50 years, 75% of our apple orchards have been dug up, and we
now import three-quarters of our apples. A seed company that boasts 12
varieties of peas stocked 53 in 1852. Once, every small town had a
nursery selling local varieties, a "euphonious litany" of plants such as
the Warwickshire Drooper (plum), the Orange Jelly (turnip) and Hero of
the Nile (gooseberry). Many of these nurseries have gone and the old
varieties are disappearing too, thanks in part to the EU's national list
of saleable seeds. There are some wonderful anecdotes, from the
malicious rumour (started by Pepys) that eating too many cucumbers could
kill you, to why carrots are orange (they were developed as an
"underground resistance symbol" in honour of William I of Orange). It is
an intriguing hybrid of narrative history
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/history>  and encyclopaedia. Maps and a
gazetteer also raise the possibility of vegetable tourism: eccentric
perhaps, but, as Stocks says, that "seems an excellent reason to start
doing it".

*	guardian.co.uk (c) Guardian News and Media Limited 2009