[NAFEX] dividing peonies

Jerrydana5 at aol.com Jerrydana5 at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 21:44:33 EDT 2009

Do to some construction, we had to dig up 3 beautiful peony plants.   They
have hardly wilted, despite being out of the ground for 2 weeks due to
having lots of soil on the roots.  Now I am ready to re-plant them and I'd  like
to split the clumps as they are quite large and because I can have twice as
 many plants.  I remember my folks just splitting peonies by jabbing a
shovel thro the middle of the root clump and ending up with two clumps.   Can I
do this in the middle of June, with clumps covered with soil?  Or  should I
leave them as one clump and just replant them as a whole?  jerry  in
southern Indiana
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377042x1201454362/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
eExcfooterNO62)