[NAFEX] deer eating persimmons?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Sun Jun 7 18:20:30 EDT 2009

At 12:19 PM 6/6/2009, Jerry wrote:
>Do deer eat persimmon trees?  I've got about 6 real nice small
>trees.  We have heavy deer pressure.  To my surprise, it appears
>they have not touched the leaves on the sprouts, which are about 4
>feet tall.  I know they love the fruit.  But it appears, from my
>experience, that they do not like the leaves.  Is that true?  Jerry
>in southern Indiana

Jerry,
The hooved rats here in southern west-central KY are not very
discerning - they'll eat new growth on young persimmons - they
especially like the new shoots on the current year's grafts (GRRRR!)
- as well as apples, pears, mulberries, pecans, hickories.
I knew I didn't kill enough of the damned things last winter, but
I'll work a little harder at it next time around.  Took me about a
grand total of 20 minutes 'hunting' to bag 3 big does.  I'll spend at
least an hour at it this fall.

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/ Dept. Chairman
Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
Hopkinsville, KY