[NAFEX] deer eating persimmons?

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 7 13:06:46 EDT 2009

In general, persimmons are largely ignored by deer.  However, deer that have learned to associate poeple with food will eat persimmon trees.  The Fuyu persimmon that I planted in the territory of one such deer herd was killed from repeated severe browsing.  This same herd has sampled everything that I have planted in their territory, even highly toxic plants like foxglove (though they didn't try that one more than once!).

Wild persimmons are unharmed by these deer.

Anton
Zone 8
Last of the pie cherries ripe today.  Happy birds.