[NAFEX] Pitted pears

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 00:25:45 EDT 2009

Lon, thanks for the quick reply but I'm quite sure that's not it.
The damage I see happens every year on about the same number of fruit.
About 10% of the fruit is damaged in an average year. The percent is
higher when there are very few pears on the trees.
Last year, we had a nasty hail storm in mid June. Even though it was
only nickel size and smaller, the wind was so strong that it blew the
paint off one part of my neighbor's house and broke 2 of his windows. It
also knocked down most of my plums or shattered them leaving only the
pit and a bit of green flesh remaining. I harvested about 6 plums total.
Just about every apple and every pear had damage but the damage did not
look like the problem I am asking about. That hail also smashed off
small chunks of bark every where it hit. Some of my young trees are
quite scarred up but all damage has healed over.
I've seen 2 storms like that in 30 years. We've had larger hail but with
not nearly as much wind. We get hail, on average, less than once a year
and usually it's quite small.

Steve