[NAFEX] Pitted pears

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Sat Jun 6 23:39:23 EDT 2009

Moments ago I wrote that we seem to be on track to have a good pear
year, here.
So what causes many of my pears (later in the summer)to have a big pit
on one side? It looks like a "sting" on one side of the pear and that
point doesn't grow. By the time the pear is half grown the pit is obvious.
I think I once tried to look this up and possibly this is caused by
tarnished plant bug. I don't usually think of tarnished plant bugs being
high up in a tree but I suppose there's no reason to think that.
What ever causes it, can it be prevented by a simple spray (or two or
three) of Sevin? Any idea of when to spray? I haven't yet figured out
when the damage is actually inflicted.

Steve in the Adirondacks