[NAFEX] cherries

Kevin Moore aleguy33 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 20:02:52 EDT 2009

Right now I have a grapefruit, blood orange, several satsuma mandarins, a loquat and a fig that came with the house so I have no idea what variety it is. Also a Persian lime and both a Meyer and Lisbon lemon, though the Lisbon just went in last year and is not producing yet. I lost a Jap persimmon to last year's hurricane and another in the front yard that never produces much, though I don't care for sugar plums anyway. I have a pecan that has inedible nuts. It too came with the house, it's probably suffering from some nutrient deficiency that prevents the nuts from maturing properly. The husks never release from the nuts and the nuts are very bitter.
I'd like to put in some bananas (rajapuri) and some prunus varieties, might even try a catalina cherry. Also Feijoa, known locally as pineapple guava grow here. I'd like to get some improved varieties because the fruit is so small on the trees that are sold as ornamentals. Avocados do well here, even surviving a historic freeze that killed all the "hardy" citrus, so that's on the list if I can find room.

Wild fruits include black cherry, elderberry, various grapes, blackberry, maypop and paw paw, all very vigorous weeds.