[NAFEX] Spraying pears

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sat Jun 6 10:35:47 EDT 2009

> I've never used a fungicide on pears.  Like Donna, the most serious pest I've observed is fireblight.

I'll just keep an eye on them, then. I worry about staying ahead of
these things (partly, I suppose, because my oriental fruit moth problem
- on peaches and pluots, mainly - has just gotten worse and worse every
year).

And yes, I've got fireblight on a nearby apple, so I'll have to watch
that, too.

> Codling moth has been a problem on Asian pears and on some cultivars of Asian hybrids, so I might bag them in the future.

That's a good idea. I don't have that many Asian pears, so it would be
doable. (And each fruit is so large that I'd get more bang for the buck
in protecting them.)

> For whatever reason, I haven't seen significant codling moth damage on European pears.

I finally planted two European pears last year, and they're still very
small (one of them was broken completely in half in shipping), so it
will be awhile before I have to worry about them. But I've got three
Asian pears which have just started to produce fruit (with the exception
of three or four pears last year).

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
"Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense
of decency?" - Joseph N. Welch to Republican Senator Joe McCarthy, 1954