[NAFEX] Pruning Apricots

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Fri Jun 5 23:55:01 EDT 2009

That sounds exactly like what happened when I was trying to grow a
couple of cherry trees, years ago. I ended up with long bare twigs with
new growth only at the tips.
There were lots of buds along the branches but by spring, they were all
dead. I'm pretty sure it had to do with the winters being a little
colder than the trees could tolerate. I probably looked, trying to see
if the dead buds were leaf or fruit buds. I can't recall, now, what I
saw. Some possibilities come to mind.
1 The tip buds are hardier than the other buds?
2 All the buds along the twigs were fruit buds with no vegetative buds
and the fruit buds were not hardy enough? Possible, I suppose because I
never had more than a hand full fruit and the trees kept trying to make
more fruit buds.
3 I thought I had a #3 but I lost it.... If my cherry trees and your
apricot trees both did this due to winter killed buds, I hope last
winter was unusually cold for your location. If so, maybe it will not
happen again.

Steve in the Adirondacks