[NAFEX] Pollarding a mulberry and tree decapitation

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Jun 5 14:57:08 EDT 2009

When I was at Davis, very close to Sacramento, just about every
mulberry was pollarded annually.  If you wanted lots of poles for your
garden, you just had to collect them at pruning time.  The trees were
all males so even when a shoot or two was missed and came into bloom,
no fruit.  In the oldest part of town you could find unpollarded
bearing females.   I even have a seedling of one. Morus alba, with
small berries.  It doesn't like our wetter, cooler climate, though, and
has lots of dieback.  Pollarding would improve it in that case.
	I will say that in my opinion the pollarded trees looked great in full
leaf, but ugly as heck when dormant.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :