[NAFEX] pruning blackberries

John Barbowski jbarbowski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 13:05:47 EDT 2009

I head my three hybrid blackberries (Black Satin and 2 unknown varieties
from cuttings) at about 8-9 feet to force lateral growth at each node. This
will stimulate increased fruit production by developing more nodes for the
2nd year.

My plants are in the open and supported by five 8' stakes, pounded into the
ground. There are wire supports between the stakes at the 4' and uppermost
levels. The sprouts are grown up through the middle of the support and hang
over the wire supports to form an umbrella or palm like formation. It
facilitates easy picking as the berries hang down and around like grapes.

I also have one plant growing along a brick, ivy covered wall. The runner is
attached to to ivy for support. I let these canes grow longer to fit the
available space.

jmb