[NAFEX] pruning blackberries

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 5 10:43:48 EDT 2009

Mark,

For erect blackberries such as Oachita, Kiowa, Navaho etc. that is true.  These have erect stiff canes and produce strong branches when pruned in this manner.  Especially if these branches are trimmed a manageable length while dormant, this is absolutely the easiestand cheapest way to manage these plants.  For semi-erect varieties such as triple crown, this is less true.  I think for these you are more likely to need a trellis although it may depend a little on what part of the country you are in.  These varieties just don't have the stiffness of their canes to be fully self supporting as the others are, although they don't need anything complicated or heavy, they do benefit from some trellising.  Here in Oregon most of the blackberries are trailing varieties that absolutely do require a trellis or else they'd be sprawling all over the ground.

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com
phainopepla at yahoo.com