[NAFEX] Spraying pears

John Barbowski jbarbowski at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:16:30 EDT 2009

Speaking of pears, I have lost 95% of my Clapp's Favourite. I had profuse
blossoms and perhaps 150 'fledgelings' developing just after petal fall. At
that time they were sprayed with a Wilson's Fruit Tree spray (Phosalone 4%,
Ferbam 15% - to whick I added Malathion).

I now have a handful remaining! The majority shriveled into a black, hard,
nut-like ball. Some of the mal-formed have obvious insect damage.

This occurred two year's ago on about two dozen of the fruit - however - the
fruit had a bit more development to about quarter size. There was insect
damage, and when I split the fruit, I had some small black larva. I
suspected coddling moth - but wasn't sure.

Last year, following my usual procedure, I had a good crop with almost no
damage.

This thread on pear spraying twigged my delema and I posted four pics on
photobucket. Advice would be helpful.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/JBarbowski/ClappsPears/

jmb
Canadian zone 6b (just north of Toronto)