[NAFEX] Spraying pears

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Thu Jun 4 09:10:50 EDT 2009

> Bill,  Some pears get leaf spot, some don't.  I wouldn't worry about it. They sometimes get some codling moth, but not enough to worry about.  Apart from fire blight they don't have too many serious problems.  I did find a borer in one once.  Donna

OK, thanks, Donna. I'll just see what happens this year.

As I say, I haven't been able to find a fungicide rated for pears. I
don't know if they'd actually cause damage to pears, or if there just
wasn't enough demand to test it. (I believe that Captan can cause fruit
drop, but Immunox seems to be a good choice for most things,... though,
again, the label doesn't mention pears.)

I did have worms in the Asian pears last year, but since I only had four
pears total, I didn't worry about it much. I don't know what pest it
was, though we do have codling moths here. Unfortunately, my
strawberries pretty well surround the pear trees, so I couldn't spray
while they were blooming. Well, in general, I don't spray nearly enough,
apparently. (But I don't need perfect fruit, either, when I'm eating it
myself.)

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it. - Jonathan Winters