[NAFEX] elderberries

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 3 23:19:01 EDT 2009

In Florida decades ago I juiced them, added lemon juice and made jelly.
Mostly in England I just added lemon juice and some sugar and water and we
drank it.  I must have made jam there too, I remember vast quantities of
berries.  The only problem with the America species is the sticky green goo
that can appear around the top edge of the container.  I don't remember it
in jam making, but definitely if you make elderbery wine.  I remember a
German guy at a Nafex meeting talking about it and saying that the only
thing he'd found to remove it was acetone.  Doesn't seem to happen with the
European berries.  So don't let it alarm you if you encounter it, you didn't
do anything wrong.    Donna