[NAFEX] Raintree's nylon socks

Jim Cooper JCooper at lewiston.k12.id.us
Wed Jun 3 11:57:26 EDT 2009

I've used the Zip Lock sandwich bags for several years. This year they cost about $ .02 each, and take about a day to instal about 1000 bags. Last year we had 2500 bags on trees, this year we have only 800.

They always self thin after the Memorial day weekend that we usually do this. We have already thinned on most of the  trees, then we go over again to bag, unless it is a very thin set of fruit. It is then easier to do both at once.

The plastic bags, have the corners cut out for a drain, we have kids do this with scissors, then just zip them up close to the stem, but not too tight. We have had apples get in the corner and they just stretch the bag and do great! They color up well, and for apples in Idaho this is the best way to keep Codling moth away! Instead of 90% wormy fruit we have 90% bug free fruit. We pick the apples and just leave them in the bag until we use them. Some of the varieties keep for several months in the bag in the refrig. We just finished the last of last falls golden Delicious and Gold Blush! They were softening and some wrinkles but very good for that late. I did pick the fruit a bit earlier (green)  last fall.
Jim
Zone 6-7 Idaho
>>> Michael Dossett <phainopepla at yahoo.com> 6/3/2009 8:25 AM >>>

Jim,

There should be brief (though in my opinion, inadequate) instructions on the only sheet of paper that comes in the bag.  I don't have it in front of me at the moment because it is at my parent's house, but we put them over their apples last weekend so it is fresh in my memory.  Essentially I think you are supposed to open it just enough to slip over the apple and then twist it over the stem.  Doing that seems to hold it in place fairly well although I imagine a determined bug could find a way to wriggle in.  We twisted them over fairly tightly and then gave them each a little bit of a squeeze before moving on to the next one.  I think it also helps to pull the nylon a bit from the end so that it is straight in line with the developing fruit and so that it isn't snagged or caught up on the end of it.  I can see a scenario where that could stretch it on the side or push it off rather than filling up the sock as it swells and develops.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com