[NAFEX] Raintree's nylon socks

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 11:25:42 EDT 2009

Jim,

There should be brief (though in my opinion, inadequate) instructions on the only sheet of paper that comes in the bag.  I don't have it in front of me at the moment because it is at my parent's house, but we put them over their apples last weekend so it is fresh in my memory.  Essentially I think you are supposed to open it just enough to slip over the apple and then twist it over the stem.  Doing that seems to hold it in place fairly well although I imagine a determined bug could find a way to wriggle in.  We twisted them over fairly tightly and then gave them each a little bit of a squeeze before moving on to the next one.  I think it also helps to pull the nylon a bit from the end so that it is straight in line with the developing fruit and so that it isn't snagged or caught up on the end of it.  I can see a scenario where that could stretch it on the side or push it off rather than filling up the sock as it swells and develops.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com