[NAFEX] Serviceberries

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Wed Jun 3 06:53:34 EDT 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 3:13 PM, Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> Are there Cedar Apple Rust resistant varieties?  I love the fruit, but
> most years my 'Regent' serviceberry (A. alnifolia) sets mostly
> deformed,
> infected berries.
>
> Betsy Hilborn
> 7a NC

I think there must be.  The serviceberries outside my office had a lot
of CAR last year, but the wild one in my back yard didn't have any
that I saw, although several of the apples get it, so I know it's
around.  If you are asking if there are any selected varieties on the
market, the answer is "I don't know".  I don't think there's been a
ton of breeding work on this fruit, so perhaps not.

Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6