[NAFEX] pruning mulberries to a weep

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 18:00:34 EDT 2009

Pruning is no chore, it's just like breathing, you don't even have to think
about it when you're doing it- if it required any less effort it would be
sleep, or death.  But even if that's not your experience, pruning a mulberry
to a weep aint too hard.

Do not prune to downward buds- that would be a stub cut and will only
stimulate more rampant growth.  Just prune out the most vigorous wood- leave
all the horizontal wood (or the wood growing closest to horizontal) and it
will gradually weep as it extends.  Also leave all the small less vigorous
wood even if it is upright.  You need only prune it once in mid summer-
removing all the strong upright growth and once more when dormant.  Branches
will grow outward and eventually start to bend down- be patient.

I really need to start taking pictures, I am only 50 feet from a weeping
Illinois E. right now, but I don't know how much help the image would be.