[NAFEX] second bloom on apple

seth jones setjon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 11:34:09 EDT 2009

I've got an old apple tree on my property which I keep pruned and which is a
biennial bearer. Not sure of the variety but delicious tart green fruit
(great for cider). Anyway it blossomed heavily mid-May, set fruit which is
now about 5mm in diameter. And is now about to bloom again. Not completely
but lots of 1/2 inch pink buds all over the tree. I have never heard of or
seen this happen before. Is it common? What could cause it? We have had a
lot of late frosts (including 29 degrees on June 1!). Any ideas?
Seth Jones
Wits End Orchard
central Ny Zone 5