[NAFEX] ripe mango?

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Mon Jun 1 14:11:06 EDT 2009

Ginda,

I've lived in a lot of places and have eaten fruit from all over and have to
say I am a certified mango addict! Technically I have no experience growing
them but eating them, oh boy, yes!

I find here in Canadian supermarkets you can basically find 2 distinct types
available. One type is large and tends to have green/ red skin. Unripe more
green, ripe more red.  But I find you can't go on colour alone. I find it's
all about smell, they should definitely be fragrant, and touch, they should
give slightly if pressed gently with a finger. I find you can leave them out
on the counter to ripen, but watch out because they can be slow and then,
bam, they ripen quick like that.  By the way, slightly underripe they can be
great in a salad but the best salad is ripe mangoes and tomatoes cubed with
a bit of olive oil, rice vinegar, salt and pepper and a hint of curry
powder! Sounds bizarre I know but you have to try it, very refreshing in the
heat of summer.

However my absolute favourite type of mango are smaller, yellowy-green skin
when unripe turning to orange.  In North America, the closest variety to
this I have found is the Ataulfo mangoes from Mexico. They are quite small,
but in my book they are so yummy ripe. Worth paying a little bit more for or
waiting for the special.

Anyway, now I'm craving mangoes, I will leave you to enjoy yours!

Caren
Quebec