[NAFEX] Honeybee question Off-Topic

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Fri Jul 31 23:52:04 EDT 2009

Yes, I have a permanent chicken wire fence around my half-high
blueberries and toss bird netting over the top when they get close to
ripe.  The bumble bees can get through the netting, but it's hard for
them, and I don't want to make life hard for my pollinators.

I don't know if my bees are "special blueberry bees".  They look like
largish bumblebees, and I can see them poking their proboscis into the
flower in the usual way.  I have some wild blueberries, too, so I'm
sure I have all the usual stuff that interacts with blueberries.

So far I my blueberries haven't been troubled much by pests, except
the birds and chipmunks eating the fruit.  (And the ones in the back,
unfenced, were eaten to the ground by deer last winter.  sigh.)  Guess
I've been lucky on the insect front.

Ginda