[NAFEX] Honeybee question Off-Topic

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Fri Jul 31 09:21:10 EDT 2009

Which leads me to remember that my blueberries are pollinated almost exclusively by large bumblebees.  Make sure the pollinators you actually have can get in, one way or another.

-- GindaRoad's End Farm wrote:

Is it possible to put a honeybee hive inside the enclosure during

bloom?

I think this is sometimes done for crops requiring insect pollination

when cross-pollination is not desired because the seed of the

particular variety is to be saved, but the area from which seed is to

be saved is small enough to cover but large enough for the bees to be

OK inside it for a couple of weeks.

If you don't keep bees yourself, a local beekeeper might be willing to

do this for you, possibly in exchange for either cash or berries.

<smaller>--Rivka

Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly</smaller>