[NAFEX] beaked hazelnuts

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 23:41:55 EDT 2009

I don't have experience growing them but I owned one once. Right after I
planted a row of hazelnuts I discovered another hazel growing on the
opposite side of the yard. It was next to a building and heavily shaded
by maple trees. It was a tall spindly thing (due to the shade) but it
produced some small nuts. It died out a year or two after I noticed it.
The thing I remember most is the fine hairs on the husks were barbed and
would stick into your skin. The first time I picked a cluster of husks
to see what the nuts inside were like, I discovered hundreds of fuzz
like hairs stuck into my fingers. I had to pluck them out. Some
penetrated far enough to cause very slight pain.

Steve in the Adirondacks